Part II Vocabulary and Structure
Directions: In this part there are forty incomplete sentences. Each sentence is followed by four choices. Choose the one that best completes the sentence and then mark your answer on the Answer Sheet.
21. A great many cancers can be cured but only if before they have begun to
spread or colonize in other parts of the body.
A. properly treat
B. properly treating
C. being properly treated
D. properly treated
22. she is a likeable girl, she is very difficult to work with.
A. Since B. However C. As far as D. While
23. All the tourists gave the robber their money.
A. frightened B. frightening C. frighten D. frightful
24. her age, she really did a good job in such a short time.
A. Giving B. Gives C. Give D. Given
25. The soldier was with neglecting his duty.
A. charged B. conducted C. charged D. committed
26. The reason why the car stopped was .
A. because the road was not good B. that the road was not good
C. due to the bad road D. because of the bad road
27. You’d better hurry, you might be late for class.
A. or B. and C. unless D. but
28. , he performed the task with success.
A. It was expected B. Which was expected
C. As was expected D. That was expected
29. The doctor felt John’s arm to if the bone was broken.
A. work out B. find out C. look at D. see out
30. He just my suggestion at the meeting yesterday.
A. put away B. shut down C. showed off D. brushed aside
31. The question at the next meeting remain a secret.
A. discussed B. to discuss C. to be discussed D. being discussed
32. His laziness his failure in the final exam.
A. gave up B. contributed C. resulted in D. distributed
33. The teacher’s to my statement about this poet led me to read widely about
A. change B. charge C. challenge D. chance
34. On most of the nights, Jane reading letters from her boyfriend.
A. stayed off B. stayed on C. stayed out D. stayed up
35. The first-year students were learning form the army in Miyun, a suburb of
Beijing near I lived.
A. what B. where C. that D. which
36. Lynda and hundreds of young people like him the post of typist.
A. approached B. applied for C. appealed to D. approved of
37. Anybody is entitled to such benefit of age or sex.
A. regardless B. whether C. in spite D. in case
38. In this building each apartment could a family of six.
A. house B. cover C. make D. include
39. I tried to get out of the business, I found impossible.
A. who B. which C. that D. what
40. When he explained it again and again, the student’s patience .
A. ran over B. ran on C. ran out D. ran off
41. When her neighbor Grandma Wang became ill, the girl often .
A. fitted in B. worked out C. held back D. helped out
42. If you really want to apply for the dangerous job, I won’t , thought I
think it’s a crazy idea.
A. stood in your way B. stand on the way
C. stand in your way D. stand by the way
43. He was trying to read; , the phone kept ringing.
A. meanwhile B. then C. later D. afterwards
44. I am out of those people who like a strenuous (费力的) holiday; I believe in
A. took it easy B. taken it easy
C. taking it easy D. taking it easily
45. The police matched the finger prints and found they were .
A. equivalent B. identical C. similar D. equal
46. Formally, in the United States, many nurses worked as private duty nurses
A. other than B. more than C. less than D. rather than
47. If you don’t mind. I do my homework than play cards with you.
A. had better B. prefer C. would rather D. would like
48. Their idea was to get us to the strike at once.
A. call at B. call off C. call in D. call for
49. My car so I had to come by bus.
A. fell down B. broke down C. fell over D. turned away
50. I could tell he was surprised from the on his face.
A. appearance B. sight C. expression D. explanation
51. Which is , North America or South America?
A. biggest B. the biggest C. more biggest D. bigger
52. You should observe carefully how the audience his speech.
A. reach to B. refer to C. react to D. relate to
53. These farmers got a good harvest last year, so they a big sum of money
for new farm machines.
A. set aside B. set about C. set up D. set back
54. One of my sayings is “where there is a will, there is a way.”
A. likely B. favorable C. alike D. favorite
55. All is a continuous supply of fuel oil.
A. what is needed B. that is needed
C. the thing is needed D. for their needs
56. The high income tax is harmful it may discourage people from trying to
A. in that B. that C. in which D. which
57. A new technique out, the yield increases by 20%.
A. having working B. having been worked
C. at a loss D. for good
58. The bird flew into the air and was soon .
A. out of sight B. in a hurry C. at a loss D. for good
59. It is decided that he for a bus to meet the guests from Beijing.
A. call B. calls C. arrange D. arranges
60. I know it’s not important but I can’t help about it.
A. to think B. thinking C. and think D. being thought